Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Boundary Commission: Don't Test Me!

As promised, I am writing to inform you, fine Afftonians, that the hearing for annexation proposals with the Boundary Commission has been scheduled. It will be at Affton High (home of the Cougars) in the cafeteria on Tuesday, August 22. The Mayor will be in attendance.

The Journal reports that proposals will be heard from Bella Villa and St. George, but oddly there is no mention of SHREWSBURY'S EVIL PLOT to annex most of Affton over several years. While I love to call this evil, I think little will come of it. Becuase of the rules, Shrewsbury would be forced to annex mostly cemeteries first which holds little interest for them as a tax base.

Also of vexing note, the Boundary Commission web site feature that allows you to enter a zip code to see if you are affected by a proposal is not working...again! This happened back in the spring as well. They fixed it thanks to my email. Today, the Exec. Director notified me that the site is undergoing maintenance and that we can still scroll down to see the proposals. Curious that twice Affton is affected and twice the information system is not functioning properly. In fairness, they have been very responsive on making repairs.

FURTHER, the Journal notes a start time of 7PM for the meeting. The Boundary Commisssion lists both 6:30 and 7. I think I'll be early just in case Shrewsbury decides to spring something on us.

Don't forget..the ACBA meets tomorrow morning at 9AM at Commerce Bank. I am not able to be there this month, but feel free to show up on behalf of the Mayor's Office and listen in.

4 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Blogger Becker said...

What's wrong with Shrewsbury??

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Mayor of Affton said...

While there is nothing intrinsically wrong with Shrewsbury, they continually plot maps to take over my fair Affton independence. On my last chat with one of their reps though, he did say Affton taxes woud drop because the can provide cheaper fire protection than Affton's.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Becker said...

It seems to me that Shrewsbury is a pretty good muni. I for one am for less mini-cities in STL County and all for some merging. I'm sure as 'mayor' you'd be assured of a high position in Afftbury (or Shrewston). If not that then at least a golden parachute.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Mayor of Affton said...

Mmmm. Affton stock options!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home