Thursday, April 06, 2006

Putting the "Tower" in Tower Tee

Since I'm not originally from Affton, I really enjoy digging up the history of the area. (Or at least putting together my own version of what I THINK is the history.) Take the popular, and newly remodled attraction called Tower Tee at 6727 Heege Road (see photo.) This sits on 27+ acres of land on our western border with Marlborough. In my research, I learned that the land they are on is actually owned by KSDK (Channel 5) and has been since 1968. They also own the adjoining property to the west (former site of the Mackenzie Pool and the First Lady's girlhood swim team) for a total of over 42 acres of ownership in Affton. Although I'm fairly well aquainted with weather guru Mike Roberts from work, I'm not a big fan of Channel 5's journalism. It's a bit sensationalist for my taste...too many fires. Anyway, my "Ah-hah" moment last night was that I realized that Tower Tee MUST be named so because of the GIANT TV TOWER on the property (shown at left in the photo.) There are three such towers in the area that roughly outline Shrewsbury's borders. Would anyone care to join the Mayor at one of the many heated tees for a round next week?

2 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are wrong. Tower Tee is named after the Tower of Babel, which once stood on the premises, albeit for a short while, after it fell over in Babylon and before it was moved to Flagstaff, where it now stands.

 
At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mackenzie Swim Club (and swim team) was my girlhood stomping ground as well. Who knew I was rubbing shoulders with a future First Lady, even if only in jest?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home